Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Wednesday Second Week of Lent

Today's readings: March 11, 2009
Reading One: Jer 18:18-20 ;
Responsorial Psalm: Ps 31:5-6, 14, 15-16 ;
Gospel: Mt 20:17-28 ; go to this page (for all three sections listed above on one page) And here's an audio file; & reflections (video)

As I reflect on today's readings, I find myself thinking that there is a test that comes from loving God with all your heart, your mind, your soul and your strength. Other people will test your devotion, and I found this to be true as I walk on my Lenten Journey this year. I thought I would get some grief, but I never expected the level of animus that some folks have regarding your love of a God that is so gentle, kind, generous, sweet, and above all, loving. The words offered in the Gospel are beautiful, full of patience and a parental type of love, of a perfect parent. I do not understand it at all, but I would be lying if I said I have gotten total support from all my friends. I have been told by many people I dearly love, that I have lost my mind, or that I am an idiot. Why is this I wonder. As I said, it makes no sense to me at all. But if I look at scripture, little has changed since the Old Testament. Poor Jeremiah was murdered, Isaac was sawed in half alive, and eleven of the original twelve apostles all met with unnatural deaths by the hands of those who hated them. And the Catholic church could fill volumes on all the martyrs who died for their love of God, especially for their love of Jesus Christ. Even as a baby, Jesus was seen as a threat. We have the story of the death of the Holy Innocents, where Herod decided to kill all the one year old children because he heard from the wise men about a new king that was born in Bethlehem. I urge all those who wish to draw closer to Christ, to strengthen your faith. As you get closer to His amazing light, you will be tested. Do you really love Him? How many times did I just stay quiet when someone was attacking Him, people who felt compelled to state He was nothing but a fairy tale? People don't get upset when I mention Paul Bunyan and his blue ox babe. These moments are just small tests. If you continue to get draw closer and closer, and your love grows stronger and stronger, as you become overwhelmed by His generosity, the tests get bigger. Pray for the faith that gives you courage during these moments, a courage that can only come from God. He will not let you down, if your heart wants to really love God. But I can tell you from my own experience, your love, and the depth of your love will be severely tested. Perhaps even to the point of shedding blood.