Thursday, March 19, 2009

Solemnity of Saint Joseph, Husband of Mary

Today's readings: March 19, 2009
Reading One: 2 Sm 7:4-5a, 12-14a, 16;
Responsorial Psalm: Ps 89:2-3, 4-5, 27 and 29 ;
Reading Two: Rom 4:13, 16-18, 22
Gospel: Mt 1:16, 18-21, 24a;
Or Lk 2:41-51a
go to this page (for all sections listed above on one page) And here's an audio file; & reflections (video)

Saint Joseph is one of the greatest heroes in all the bible. During a time when men ruled the world with an iron fist and cared virtually nothing for the rights of a woman, Joseph wanted to divorce his wife quietly when he learned she was pregnant with a child he did not father. Scripture tells us Joseph chose to do this, because he was a righteous man. And then he had a dream, and the angel of the Lord appeared to him in the dream and said,
Joseph, son of David,
do not be afraid to take Mary your wife into your home.
For it is through the Holy Spirit
that this child has been conceived in her.
She will bear a son and you are to name him Jesus,
because he will save his people from their sins.
And Joseph's response to the message in the dream, was to be obedient, humble and to do exactly what the angel told him to do in his dream without any complaint or second guessing. Joseph also had to flee to Egypt to protect his wife and child. Clearly, Joseph, the simple carpenter, was a man of great faith.

The Catholic church honors Saint Joseph with two special feast days - March 19, as the husband of the blessed virgin Mary, and May 1, to honor Saint Joseph the Worker. There is also a pretty weird practice of burying a statue of St. Joseph to help sell a house. Personally, I not real fond of that one, for me, Saint Joseph is my patron saint, and I know he has been there for me, to help me be good father, and also to be a man who treats women with great respect and honor. He has helped me to increase my faith, to listen well in my dreams, to be obedient, and to be humble, and slow to speak.

I made a new picture album with some of my favorite pictures and old school art of Saint Joseph, and below find the Prayer to Saint Joseph. It is usually offered as a novena, meaning you do well to say it nine days in a row. It is supposed to be a very very old prayer, dating back almost 2000 years.
O St. Joseph whose protection is so great, so strong, so prompt before the Throne of God, I place in you all my interests and desires. O St. Joseph do assist me by your powerful intercession and obtain for me from your Divine Son all spiritual blessings through Jesus Christ, Our Lord; so that having engaged here below your Heavenly power I may offer my Thanksgiving and Homage to the most Loving of Fathers. O St. Joseph, I never weary contemplating you and Jesus asleep in your arms. I dare not approach while He reposes near your heart. Press him in my name and kiss His fine Head for me, and ask Him to return the Kiss when I draw my dying breath. St. Joseph, Patron of departing souls, pray for us. Amen

For more pictures of Saint Joseph in art, go here.