Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Tuesday Second Week of Lent

Today's readings: March 10, 2009
Reading One: Is 1:10, 16-20 ;
Responsorial Psalm: Ps 50:8-9, 16bc-17, 21 and 23 ;
Gospel: Mt 23:1-12 ; go to this page (for all three sections listed above on one page) And here's an audio file; & reflections (video)

It depends on how you see the world - today's readings will leave you either making excuses about why you do the things you do, or I hope, remind you of some good advice you already know to be true. Consider the reality of being a good parent. If you spend all your time grumbling that your kids are a burden, guess what - they will feel like burden. If however, you give up the many things you have to so you can do as much as you want to provide for your children, it is a light burden. In fact, the joy you have watching your kids graduate from college or completing a course or sports activity that demanded not only your money but your time too - the stuff you gave up to make it happen, will be no big deal. If you are blessed enough to do these kinds of sacrifices for everyone, you will be a very happy person, as long as your attitude is right, and you learn to be a joyful giver.

For much of my life, I struggled with the message of today's Gospel. It is true that I wasted many years and opportunities - exalting myself. Till one fine day, God got my attention - my full and undivided attention. And I found myself in a position where most everyone, especially those I loved most, didn't really care that much for me. And, I was blessed to have the reasons for this (exalting myself), raised in front of my eyes and in truth, I couldn't really blame them for acting this way. The good news however, is that in this position of weakness, and awareness of my weakness - I was humbled (humiliated would be a better description - ouch). I didn't think that much of myself either and felt far away from the treasures deep in my heart that I valued most. The good news is that this emptiness was filled with something far beyond what I could have created for myself. As I look back, it was just beginning of a wonderful road that led to a joy I never before experienced. The words are an excellent guide to how to live a happy and fruitful life. Trust in the words, and be a joyful servant.

The greatest among you must be your servant.
Whoever exalts himself will be humbled;
but whoever humbles himself will be exalted.