Thursday, March 12, 2009

Thursday Second Week of Lent

Today's readings: March 12, 2009
Reading One: Jer 17:5-10 ;
Responsorial Psalm: Ps 1:1-2, 3, 4 and 6 ;
Gospel: Lk 16:19-31 ; go to this page (for all three sections listed above on one page) And here's an audio file; & reflections (video)

UPDATE - Just added some pix. Links at the bottom of this post.

Honestly, you could spend a lifetime reflecting on the words offered in today's readings. Go read them, or listen to the mp3 audio file and follow along with words. Etch the words in your hearts, or dust off your hearts, because the words are already written there. Words of Truth will always be true, and never change. And if you are a smart person, listen to them again - it costs nothing but your time. And in understanding the words, the gift you will receive will be a whole new life. You might understand, how you were actually dead because of how you were living your life, a wonderful gift that you were squandering. But God is kind and gracious and generous beyond your imagination. He will let you live again, and rise above the zombie life you once called "MY story". The first of many resurrections, before the really big one at the end of your life.

Today I received a wonderful note from a friend in high school, I never really knew, because I only cared about myself at the time. She offered words of encouragement after reading the post from yesterday. A small token you might say, but in the words were a gift of a priceless kindness, and no, this is not a Mastercard commercial. (i personally prefer American Express, but I digress). Thank you, my dear friend, i am sorry, I was foolish enough many years ago, to squander the opportunity of seeing how delightful you were. I know now.

And another total... freak of chance. I was answering today's massive bombardment of emails, mostly spam wanting me to do all kinds of things I have no interest in doing - but I came across an old email from Sept. 2, 2009, from a dear friend who told me about some classes that were offered to become a Extraordinary minister (the laymen and laywomen who assist in feeding us lambs during church services). Well, I took those classes, and in addition I decided to take an additional 15 minute session that provided training for being an EM (Extraordinary Minister, we used to be called Eucharistic Ministers, but the name was changed because we are not innocent. hahaa) to the folks who are sick and home bound. Anyway, this simple task of service really changed my life. The truth is, Jesus tells us when you minister to those we consider the least of us... like Lazarus in today's Gospel, or perhaps the sick, the home bound, and those forgotten people who often are left just sitting by a window as they prepare for the next leg of the journey - Jesus tells us - that you are serving Him. Words will never do justice to what this small act of service has done for me. It changed my life. I really do think that I am holding Jesus' hand when we say the Lord's prayer together. And yes, I do tremble sometimes, so profound is my joy. No one gives me the respect and love these people do. It pours out of them like an an endless waterfall of kindness. All I want to do, is to try and do that for everyone else... you will want to be like them, because they love without any fears or concerns. I share this with you, speaking from the deepest parts of my heart, because I really want others to know what a blessing this is. It feels like heaven, and you don't even have to die to get there, it is that good. Honestly, I am left with the feeling that I never even lived, until I knew this feeling.

Shortly after beginning the service I described above, I began to see everything in a new light. I was just a tiny frayed piece in a gigantic jig-saw puzzle. If I wanted to see God, all I had to do was put together the jig-saw puzzle and see every piece as divine, and everyone in the world was a piece of the puzzle, though not as torn and frayed as my little piece. I began to see how God manifested His Glorious presence in every living creature. And the people who were forgotten - were the most important pieces of all, just like when you are doing a puzzle, and you couldn't find this one puzzle piece and it was driving you nuts. The enigmatic puzzle was right in front of me, in everyone's eyes and smiles. What a beautiful new world I saw, dazzling like the sun, like freshly fallen snow, or a little bee delighting in a fragrant rose. God's Glory was everywhere. And from time to time, I ran across someone who was really angry and ornery - and whenever I met these folks, I would smile, and say to myself - Jesus I know you are in there. Help my eyes to see You. I didn't get angry anymore.

Bishop Curlin once passed on a great story about his friend Mother Teresa. She was ministering to the homeless in India, when a man sat up, cursed her up and down, and then - spit in her face. Bishop Curlin said he was so angry, he wanted to ring the guy's neck. And Mother Teresa's response - was to have tears her eyes, joyful wonderful tears - and she told Him, she had just seen Jesus. In the man who spit on her. For Mother Teresa, the man who spit on her, was Jesus in all His Glory. Think about that for a while, and see Jesus in those who spit on you. Your life will never be the same.

Today's readings begin with a deep understanding of feeling humble and hoping in the Lord. For the last several years, I asked the priests I met - what is your favorite prayer in the Bible. I was curious because I wanted to learn the prayers, but the only way I can remember stuff like this, is to write a song about it. Not only does it help me remember, but when I sing a prayer, it actually comes from deeper spot inside me. Catholic tradition says that when you sing, you pray twice. My own experience is that this is true. So, here's the favorite prayer of a humble priest I have been blessed to know, and to listen to his homilies. Today he gave one of the best homilies (sermons to my Protestant friends) I ever heard. His favorite prayer is Psalm 131. Short and sweet - with more layers of profound wisdom than a divine sweet onion that you can peel apart layer after layer... forever.

Please find time to say a prayer for Charlotte, Peter, Missy & her kids, Jim, Debbie, Lisa and her son, Kim, Shelley, Richard & Andy, Claire, Florence, Louise, Stewart, my family, and especially those I forgot to mention. And if time allows, please say one for me.

UPDATE - Today's mass was celebrated in Asheville, NC at St Lawrence Basilica in Asheville. What a wonderful time I had on my short trip down the road. Spent an hour in adoration before mass, and about a half hour after mass. The homily offered today was terrific, all about how we need to take care of the homeless, and those less fortunate than ourselves, and also - how when we approach God in weakness, asking for help - we are filled with something so amazing words do no justice. They don't. Check out some new pictures from my Lenten Journey. I love Black Mountain and Asheville.