Saturday, March 7, 2009

Saturday - First Week of Lent

Today's readings: March 7, 2009
Reading One: Dt 26:16-19 ;
Responsorial Psalm: Ps 119:1-2, 4-5, 7-8 ;
Gospel: Mt 5:20-26 ; go to this page (for all three sections listed above on one page) And here's an audio file; & reflections (video)

Today's readings continue the theme of loving your enemies, and to strive for nothing less than perfection, just as your Father in Heaven is perfect. Well, it's certainly true that this is impossible, if we only rely on ourselves. But nothing is impossible for God, and I would imagine he offers a helping hand to everyone who draws closer to Him, and asks for help overcoming our shortcomings. And I think the journey must begin with a fervent desire to love your enemies. Please check out the wonderful words at the end of yesterday's post from St Aelred on the subject. The comments made hundreds of years ago are just as wonderful as they were when they were originally offered. But better still, reflect on the Gospel, and what Jesus asks of you. Don't give up or settle for something less - ask for His help.

Years ago, I reflected on how beautifully Jesus reduced all the previous commandments into something simple, and easy to understand. Words first offered in the Old Testament, but with an additional codicil, so we might really understand what it means. Love God with all your heart, all your mind and all your soul. And love your neighbor as yourself. Everything regarding how we must act, be and moreover feel deeply within our hearts must go through this litmus test. One day after mass, a wonderful prayer came to me, and I try to say it after every mass. The prayer is never the same, it comes from the heart, not from rote. It goes something like this:

Gracious God, you love me perfectly. So tender and gentle, yet firm when I need to be chided. And even when I screw up, you love me even more, and put me on shoulders to carry me home. I will never understand why you are so sweet to me. I certainly don't deserve it. You give me pure love, each and every day. And I return this perfect gift, by trying, but never as hard as I could try. I find myself failing to offer you anything as wonderful as you give me, without cost. You know I am sorry. How deeply I wish I could return what you give me. Help me try harder, and grant me the grace to do better each day. I thank with all my heart and soul for all the things you do for me. (I rattle off a some big blessings, my children, my friends, the sunshine, animals, flowers, food, shelter, and even my enemies are a blessing, because you teach me how to forgive and grant me a share of your glorious nature). And I ask you in all humility, to please grant me just one gift, yes, I know it is bigger than all the others combined, but if it is Your will Father, let me love with all the sweetness and perfection that your beloved son, Jesus loved you. He said if I asked anything in His name, if it was Your will, that You would grant the request. So I ask you in confidence for this gift Abba, because I ask for this gift in Jesus' name. And please, let me manifest this gift in how I treat all Your beautiful children, especially those who need it most. Amen.

And yes, I am pretty sure this prayer request was a gracious gift (God is so generous!), and not of my own creation. God blessed me with a wonderful mind, and I heard the words about how His word was hidden from folks with smarts, so I knew I had to work harder than others if I wanted to understand His words, and His ways. Honestly, I think the prayer was a blessing. I know some of you out there think this sounds arrogant, but I said quite clearly, my active mind was a gift from God. It was. It was nothing I earned and the fact that I tried to use that gift is of no consequence at all. I believe His words are true, and if He tells me His word will be hidden from the wise, who am I to say, not so.

Today is also the memorial for Perpetua and Felicity, two martyrs who died because of their fervent love for Jesus Christ. There names are mentioned in a rite of the mass, so I thought it might be a good idea to include a recounting of who these lovely, brave ladies were. (From the Liturgy of the Hours, Office Readings)

The day of the martyrs' victory dawned. They marched from their cells into the amphitheater, as if into heaven, with cheerful looks and graceful bearing. If they trembled it was for joy and not for fear.

Perpetua was the first to be thrown down, and she fell prostrate. She got up and, seeing that Felicity was prostrate, went over and reached out her hand to her and lifted her up. Both stood up together. The hostility of the crowd was appeased, and they were ordered to the gate called Sanavivaria. There Perpetua was welcomed by a catechumen named Rusticus. Rousing herself as if from sleep (so deeply had she been in spiritual ecstasy) she began to look around. To everyone's amazement she said: "When are we going to be led to the beast?" When she heard that it had already happened she did not at first believe it until she saw the marks of violence on her body and her clothing. Then she beckoned to her brother and the catechumen, and addressed them in these words: "Stand firm in faith, love one another and do not be tempted to do anything wrong because of our sufferings."

Saturus, too, in another gate, encouraged the soldier Pudens, saying: "Here I am, and just as I thought and foretold I have not yet felt any wild beast. Now believe with your whole heart: I will go there and be killed by the leopard in one bite." And right at the end of the games, when he was thrown to the leopard he was in fact covered with so much blood from one bite that the people cried out to him: "Washed and saved, washed and saved!" And so, giving evidence of a second baptism, he was clearly saved who had been washed in this manner.

Then Saturus said to the soldier Pudens: "Farewell, and remember your faith as well as me; do not let these things frighten you; let them rather strengthen you." At the same time he asked for the little ring from Pudens' finger. After soaking it in his wound he returned it to Pudens as a keepsake, leaving him a pledge and a remembrance of his blood. Half dead, he was thrown along with the others into the usual place of slaughter.

The people, however, had demanded that the martyrs be led to the middle of the amphitheater. They wanted to see the sword thrust into the bodies of the victims, so that their eyes might share in the slaughter. Without being asked they went where the people wanted them to go; but first they kissed one another, to complete their witness with the customary kiss of peace.

The others stood motionless and received the death-blow in silence, especially Saturus, who had gone up first and was first to die; he was helping Perpetua. But Perpetua, that she might experience the pain more deeply, rejoiced over her broken body and guided the shaking hand of the inexperienced gladiator to her throat. Such a woman - one before whom the unclean spirit trembled - could not perhaps have been killed, had she herself not willed it.

Bravest and happiest martyrs! You were called and chosen for the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.