Friday, March 20, 2009

Friday - Third Week of Lent

Today's readings: March 20, 2009
Reading One: Hos 14:2-10;
Responsorial Psalm: Ps 81:6c-8a, 8bc-9, 10-11ab, 14 and 17 ;
Gospel: Mk 12:28-34; go to this page (for all three sections listed above on one page) And here's an audio file; & reflections (video)

Not many folks really know or understand the story of the prophet Hosea. But for me, because of what has transpired in the course of my life - I know it all too well. I am not boasting, I know it from life's hard lessons, from reading it many times, but mostly from understanding the sorrow of Hosea's heart. That is a sorrow I know since the sorrow is etched into my heart with countless tears. More than once, more than twice, the tears have left grooves one can trace with your fingers. Hosea is a prophet who tells the people of Israel that they have strayed from their God, and that they are so consumed in their wicked ways, that they have no guilt, they actually think what they are doing is just fine and dandy, and that their actions are not even sinful. And so, as you might imagine, the people of Israel hold Hosea in low esteem.

Hosea is a married man, but his marriage, like the relationship of Israel to their God is in shambles. Hosea's wife Gomer has left him to go chase after some flashy man who gives her sparkly jewelry and party all the time. As far as Gomer is concerned, Hosea is just an old man, and dead weight to her. She wants to be free and shake her booty and do her own thing. Too bad for Hosea, who is a nice guy - and just as Julius Caesar said, they finish last. Hosea's situation is used to help the Israelites better understand how they have strayed from their relationship with God. By doing their own thing, writing their own moral codes, and not feeling the least bit guilty about it. But in this very paternal society - they can understand how Hosea is getting a raw deal from Gomer. But they do not understand why Hosea is taking all this grief from this woman who dances to her own drummer with other men. Why? Hosea still loves Gomer. The story is a good way to understand how God must feel when we decide to just do our thing, and take no notice that our actions are hurting many of people closest to us. The people we love. Welcome to understanding the true nature of sin. When you get wise to how the game is played - usually because of some time and many tears, you understand how sin destroys the ones we love the most. And still, even through all this - God still loves you.

Hosea is a very interesting character. He has a bit of temper, and also the ability to say things that cut to the core. Kind of like Jeremiah in that respect. But Hosea is also very tender and remarkable in his sweetness. His emotions can turn from scary to kind & gentle in an instant. Chapter 11 is my favorite part of the story, which begins:
When Israel was a child I loved him, out of Egypt I called my son.
The more I called them, the farther they went from me,
Sacrificing to the Baals and burning incense to idols.
Yet it was I who taught Ephraim to walk,
who took them in my arms;
I drew them with human cords, with bands of love;
I fostered them like one who raises an infant to his cheeks;
Yet, though I stooped to feed my child,
they did not know that I was their healer.
FYI - The Baals are a reference to a nasty Egyptian God who was all about kinky sex, free love, anything goes, and matters of the flesh. Not that we have those issues in our present society. haha sorry, if you think we are a pure and sweet culture folks, just watch some of the teenage kid channels at night. The tone has gotten so nasty and cruel it is morally repugnant to anyone who still wishes to have a sweet heart.

Thank God for Jesus Christ and the Gospel he gave us, at such a high cost we might better understand how important it is. He lights the way with simple words that are easy to understand.
Hear, O Israel!
The Lord our God is Lord alone!
You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart,
with all your soul,
with all your mind,
and with all your strength.
The second is this:
You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
If you really understand this, and try to do what He asks, you will live a new life life, be a new person. Beautiful in God's sight. If you really work at these two simple commands, sin will get squeezed out. Better still, you will find a gift waiting for you as you walk down this road, just as Jesus promised.
The scribe said to him, "Well said, teacher.
You are right in saying,
He is One and there is no other than he.
And to love him with all your heart,
with all your understanding,
with all your strength,
and to love your neighbor as yourself
is worth more than all burnt offerings and sacrifices."
And when Jesus saw that he answered with understanding,
he said to him,
"You are not far from the Kingdom of God."
And no one dared to ask him any more questions.
Tonight I am blessed to make a big batch of meatless soup, and serve my friends & neighbors at church. This will be followed by a Living Stations of the Cross presentation (people in fixed dramatic poses, as opposed to reflecting on artwork of the important moments as Jesus walked with grace and dignity to his death on a cross). For many reasons, this will be a powerful evening, and I hope as I walk on my Lenten Journey, I find myself in a place ready to endure sorrowful times, and staying focused on faith and hope, believing in the joyful promise, with all my heart, mind, soul and strength - not far from the Kingdom of God. Please pray for Peter, Charlotte, Charlie & Roz, Tim, Jim, Richard, Doug, Amelia, Mishka, Jenny, Louise, Florence, Slugger's family, my 6th graders, Terry, Kate & Hope, and if time allows, please pray for me. Thanks.