Monday, March 23, 2009

Monday - Fourth Week of Lent

Today's readings: March 23, 2009
Reading One: Is 65:17-21;
Responsorial Psalm: Ps 30:2 and 4, 5-6, 11-12a and 13b ;
Gospel: Jn 4:43-54; go to this page (for all three sections listed above on one page) And here's an audio file; & reflections (video)

As a parent, it is easy to relate to the royal official with a sick child, and share his sorrow with a compassionate heart. As I reflect on this, I am reminded off a previous post discussing the Latin origins of the word mercy. But there is more going on here, because as a parent, we know when our child is sick and suffering, there is often not much we can do, and we are left feeling helpless, in spite of our desire to share our child's sorrow. But with our faith firmly fixed on Jesus, there is hope. The parent of the sick child asks Jesus to help heal his child. I am pretty certain this plea comes from the deepest regions of his heart. And Jesus replies to this request with a response that seems harsh,
Unless you people see signs and wonders, you will not believe.
I think Jesus' reply is only a test, to show how deeply the man is aware of his neediness, and also how much faith he has in Jesus. And the reason is so others might come to better understand their own weakness and also, to increase their faith in Jesus.

Jesus tells the royal official his child is healed, and that is all he needs to hear. As he is returning home - he is greeted by one of his slaves who tells him his child is well. And the man realizes that hiss child got well the moment that Jesus said he was healed. This story sounds very similar to the story of the Centurion with the sick slave. Jesus offers to return to his house, but the Centurion explains he feels unworthy to have Jesus come to his house, and all he needs to do - is to say the word and his slave will be healed. When Jesus tells him to go home, that he slave is healed - the Centurion leaves thrilled and happy. And Jesus tells the crowd - never before in all of Israel has he seen such faith. The words - Lord I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and I shall be healed - are the last words of prayer we say before we go to receive communion. Take a moment to reflect on the faith of the Centurion and also of the royal official in today's Gospel. And if you need help, like we all do - ask Jesus to increase your faith - so that you might be healed.

Yesterday, as part of my Lenten Journey - I decided to clean my garage, which had reached a level of scary filth of Biblical proportions. Think I am exaggerating in my little fantasy world? Ok - allow me to humble myself and tell the truth - how bad the garage neglect was. Years ago, like 5 or 6 years ago, I lost a wonderful pet to old age. The pet was an awesome cat named Duke - and I loved him with all my heart and returned the gift with all of his heart. The first year I got Duke - the Duke Blue devils won the NCAAs in 1991 and then won again in 1992. (i think those are the correct years anyway). But, as he got older - his teeth went bad and finally he got so bad he could barely stand and he didn't feel like eating any more. The day before he disappeared for good, I petted him on seat cushion for over an hour or two. We all knew he was going die very soon. And the next day - he went away and never came back. We all figured he went somewhere to die. And that was that. Till - about 5 years later when I decided to clean out the garage and I found his corpse mummified in the corner near some vermiculite that was once used to grow seeds. I included a few pictures in the animals album - it is not for the faint of heart, but for weirdos like me - it pretty cool. I have never seen anything like it. Now before you think I am a cold hearted rat - I love my little Dukie. And he will have proper burial today, I will offer some prayers from my Liturgy of the Hours, Office of the Dead section, and I will I hope, be blessed with the grace to fully believe that my Lord will hear my prayers, forgive me of my foolishness, and tell Dukie who is welcomed into heaven, how much I love him.