Thursday, March 5, 2009

Thursday, First Week of Lent

Today's readings: March 5, 2009
Reading One: Est C:12, 14-16, 23-25 ;
Responsorial Psalm: Ps 138:1-2ab, 2cde-3, 7c-8 ;
Gospel: Mt 7:7-12 ;
go to this page (for all three sections listed above on one page) And here's an audio file; & reflections (video)

Just added a few pixtures from Alabama Bound trip - link below, in the Sweet Home Alabama post that follows. Read the readings above & do the right thing. Besides, my words are straw in comparison. thanks.

Wednesday morning began with a change of plans. Early in the morning, I thought I was going to Greensboro, NC and was looking forward to seeing Father James, a priest who blessed St. Marks on his first assignment as a man of the cloth. He was very serene and quite tender, one could easily see how the Holy Spirit filled his every fiber. But things change. For some reason, my head was filled with an old Leadbelly song, called Alabamy Bound, and how he used to play a wicked 12 string called Stella. Many years ago, my mom & dad finally gave in to my repeated pleas for a new guitar, and I got one for my 18th birthday at the little guitar shop in Exeter, NH. Being somewhat clueless (or totally, depends who you ask), I decided to get a Penco 12 string for about $189, hahha, yes I remember how much it cost. It was decent guitar, but not on par with a Martin or a Gibson mind you, but it was a pretty decent guitar all the same and i just loved it, though it was a bear to get in tune. And I still have it, took it Europe in 1978, dropped it as it fell out of the cardboard case somewhere in Rome Italy (still has the ding too), and this morning - I threw it in the SUV and headed for Alabama, with my own version of Stella (laughing as I remember Marlon Brando in the movie yelling STEEEELLLLLLA !!!). Anyway, mom & dad, if you are reading this, I love you and remain really thankful for such a terrific gift, that continues to give 32 years later.

On my way to Alabama, I was thrilled to see my first born little angel, Mishka who is a student at Clemson. Just a short detour to see her, check out a very nifty cooler she was painting for a big social coming this weekend, in Jacksonville, FL I think, but my memory is no longer that good. But it was great to see her, lots of hugs, smiles and a tasty Mexican meal before I had to hit the road again. When she was a little girl, I wrote a song for her, and also to God, saying thank you for such an amazing blessing. If you wanna hear a version we cut in my garage with some actual musician friends (Doug Hawthorn and Jack Lawrence), by all means - check it out.

So as I reflect on what happened on Wednesday, and how I ended up in Alabama with my Stella Penco 12 string, a gift from my mom and dad for my 18th birthday, and then blogged about the gift I gave to my daughter when she was born... well, today's Gospel is just sweet news. Good news beyond my wildest dreams.
If you then, who are wicked,
know how to give good gifts to your children,
how much more will your heavenly Father give good things
to those who ask him.
God is great. My cup overflows with your kindness and mercy Lord. May I love you with all my heart, mind and soul, all the days of my life. And forever and ever.

Thanks to all for all your prayers. Morgan is in full remission and her Grandma says THANK YOU! to all who poured their hearts out for her first grandchild. Please remember Peter, Charlotte, Jim, Bradley, and Amelia in your prayers. And if time allows, please say a prayer for me.