Saturday, March 28, 2009

Saturday - Fourth Week of Lent

Today's readings: March 28, 2009
Reading One: Jer 11:18-20;
Responsorial Psalm: Ps 7:2-3, 9bc-10, 11-12 ;
Gospel: Jn 7:40-53;
go to this page (for all three sections listed above on one page) And here's an audio file; & reflections (video)

From time to time, something comes over me, and I go into something of a fugue state, where I feel like a spectator as I become overwhelmed with the thoughts in my head, combined with the events that are happening in the world around me. It is impossible to explain, but basically it involves a combination of what is happening between my ears, and things that are happening in the "real" world - that combine in the same kind of way as the two parts of epoxy. Alone, nothing is especially volatile, but when combined a new experience evolves as each substance acts as a catalyst to create something new. This other worldly parallel universe experience transpired as I wrote this post on Wednesday. I guess it feels like you are in the middle of a dream, but in truth you are awake in a dream state. It happens without any prodding on my part, it just goes down, and the only thing you can do is be as aware as possible, there is no way to fight it. There is nothing I can do, but as I mentioned before - it is like you are a spectator, as well as actor in a play that is in a show, that will go on, without any concern for your desire to watch the play as it unfolds. This fugue state experience went down on Wednesday, I wrote this paragraph on Friday, to help explain what happened and why my words seem so bizarre. But I thought it best to just leave the words as is, and let you make of it what you like.

(here's the fugue state words from Wed). As I read today's Gospel, my heart is broken. The events of long ago, killing a totally innocent person, happen each and every day and the country I live in, says it is okay to do this. What are you talking about you ask? I am speaking of abortion, knowing that words Jesus said apply in full force.
whatever you do for the least of you, you do to me.
On the day after the tragic anniversary of Roe vs. Wade, after the protesters left - the president signed into law again (after Reagan said NO, and Clinton said ok, and then Bush jr... said NO again)... an act allowing taxpayer dollars to fund abortions abroad. I am so sorry my Lord, you know full well how I have wept over this horror, You dried my tears and assured me there would one day be justice and this tragedy would stop. I trust You. But You also know - I still weep, so great is my sadness. Does my country believe that foreign children are less precious than our own? That is the implied message. This morning I saw this lovely video of a beautiful seven year old boy, sent to me by a good friend I haven't seen in 30 years. As I watched the video , for some reason, the little boy reminded me of You my Lord. Maybe it was the hair, or maybe it was the joy he exuded as he played his guitar. And as he played his guitar, I gently wept as I thought of all the songs that were not allowed to be heard. They were aborted.



The little boy named Lucciano is playing a Santana song called Samba Pa Ti, which has many meanings - but the most common one is:
Through every step in life; freedom comes from within.
I looked this up after I watched the video. Ironic, huh? And then I looked up the meaning of Lucciano. Guess what - it translates in English as:
light.
Didn't Jesus say: I am the light of the world? Ironic again? Nope, I do not think so - for me it doesn't surprise me at all. I am not afraid to call such things - Holy Spirit moments. And I know this post will produce the exact same reaction in the hearts of many men and women as told by St. John in today's Gospel. They will hate me for my words today.
Look and see that no prophet arises from Galilee."
Then each went to his own house.
But thanks to the amazing love and peace you freely give to those who have trust and faith in You Lord, I will be okay. You always dry my tears. You know I come to You for refuge. Everyday. And everyday, I ask You for mercy, for me and my sinfulness, and for my brothers and sisters. And for forgiveness. And the grace to forgive. They know not what they do. In case you missed yesterday's prayer song - A Prayer to St. Michael, here it is again. It seems appropriate.