Monday, March 21, 2011

Solemnity of Saint Joseph, husband of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Daily Readings for Lent
Today's readings: March 19, 2011
First Reading: 2 Sm 7:4-5a, 12-14a, 16
Responsorial Psalm: Ps 89:2-3, 4-5, 27 and 29
Second Reading: Rom 4:13, 16-18, 22  ;
Gospel: Mt 1:16, 18-21, 24a ;

And here's an audio file and a video of a priest offering reflections.

The  Solemnity of Saint Joseph, husband of the Blessed Virgin Mary is one of my favorite feast days. When I became a Catholic, an adult convert - I chose Joseph as my patron saint for many reasons. The main ones were 1) Joseph's humility. I knew I needed help in this area, as pride is one of the greatest stumbling blocks in creating a barrier toward fulling appreciating the love God has for us. Guilty as charged. 2) It was said that he was a righteous man, and this was a character trait that I hoped to develop on my own journey through life.

It is a good day to reflect on Saint Joseph - he has so much to offer.

Last year I compiled a small collection of interesting art with Saint Joseph. Here's a link in case you missed it, or if you wish to be inspired by one of the greatest saints that ever lived.