Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Fat Tuesday

Today's readings: February 24, 2009
Reading One: Sir 2:1-11 ;
Responsorial Psalm: Ps 37:3-4, 18-19, 27-28, 39-40
Gospel : Mk 9:30-37
go to this page (for all three sections listed above on one page)
And here's an audio file; & reflections (video)

Just one day before Lent, and that makes today rather hectic, as I still have a lot to do to get ready. Bills are getting paid, stamps, I hope to record some music to add as part of the blog, a meeting with Msgr at 3 pm, teaching my delightful 6th graders from 6pm - 7:15. (funny joke of the day... my friend Alan (Allen?) said to Scott, see, I told you Willy has class, and I added, yes for one hour a week, I have class... hahaha). Tomorrow, my journey begins at about 4 am, where I hope the first thing out of my mouth, is thank you. I will sing a few songs, and go to the chapel to spend some time alone with the Blessed Sacrament, before mass at 7am. This will be followed up by three trips to bring communion to the sick, and ashes for the solemnity of of Ash Wednesday. I will swing by my house to say good bye to my pets - and head out. I still do not know where I will be going.

For this season of Lent, I plan to try and focus on just three things, regarding the question - What are you giving up for Lent? First, I plan to offer my services to those who can use a helping hand. I will pray and ask where I should go, the destination will be a church to celebrate mass. After mass, I plan to ask the priest what he would like to get done today, something or someone that needs attention, or something he wants to get fixed, or perhaps bringing communion to the sick, or visiting someone in the parish who is lonely and needs someone to talk to. Whatever... maybe he needs his bathrooms cleaned. Who knows what chores are needed? I pray God gives me the grace to not only be helpful, but to be joyful in my service. I want to whistle while I work.

The second part of my Lent journey is to find more time to be still and pray. I will head out to the country, and find somewhere to park my car or motorcycle, and head out to the woods and pray. I have so many things to pray for, and as I mentioned in an earlier post, by all means - send me an email with prayer requests. ( lentjourney@gmail.com ). Like most of us, I need some time to decompress, and let the noise of the world leave me alone, and spend time dwelling on all the the things I am thankful for. But also - to be quiet, and listen in my prayers. I want God to speak to me, and the only way that can happen is if I am quiet, and humble in all my blessings. I have lots of books, and a fresh copy of the Liturgy of the Hours. (and even a how to book called The Divine Office for Dodos). Thanks Alan.

The third part of Lent deals with fasting. For me, this has less to do with food, and more to do with all the things that keep me less than focused on God on my journey through life. No TV news programs, no Hershey's chocolate truffles, no glass of wine at the end of a hard day, things like that. My fasting has less to do with food - because it isn't a big issue with me. For a long time I have enjoyed a meal or two a day, and my body has become used to it. Often this manifests itself in a larger meal at night, but for Lent, this will go too. I will eat less, and when I feel the hunger in my stomach, I hope to reflect on how Jesus suffered for me, covered my immense debt (think stimulus package big, in my case), and also to reflect on those who are hungry, and pray for an eagerness to lend a hand.

Finally, a special note of thanks to Kim, an old friend I haven't seen in thirty years who got in touch via a mutual friend on Facebook. She was kind enough to send me an amazing gift, a medal blessed by Mother Teresa about a year before she died. WOW! A few weeks ago, we emailed some tales of the decades gone by, and she shared with me that her daughter Charlotte fell from a horse a few years back and sustained a head injury, and is still in recovery. I had already asked Mary, a friend from daily mass, to add some prayers for Charlotte to the prayer group of our church, and she shared with me that everyone was praying with all their hearts for Charlotte. So, in the spirit of how all great gifts keep on giving, I passed on the medal to her, to wear for a day or two, and say some special prayers for Charlotte, asking Mother Teresa to intercede on her behalf, and then to pass it on to another person in the prayer group. If you are reading this, please say a prayer for Charlotte and for Kim's family. Also, I ask you to say some prayers for Randy's Mom, who is scheduled for surgery today. Thanks, and All glory to God alone, who is the source of all love, kindness, gentleness and mercy.