Thursday, April 2, 2009

Thursday - Fifth Week of Lent

Today's readings: April 2, 2009
Reading One: Gn 17:3-9;
Responsorial Psalm: Ps 105:4-5, 6-7, 8-9 ;
Gospel: Jn 8:51-59;
go to this page (for all three sections listed above on one page) And here's an audio file; & reflections (video)

Today gets us closer toward the final days before we begin Holy Week. During Holy Week, we are asked to take the journey to the next level and really focus on what changes we need to make in ourselves, to make us more pleasing in God's sight. The video reflections for today were very helpful for me. More time for prayer, more time works of charity, more time for drawing deeper and deeper into a loving relationship with God, and with all His children.

I find it hard to make any comments on today's readings. For some time, I have been sitting in front of my computer... with this... I got nothing feeling. I prayed about it, and I keep getting back to this same story, feeling like I am supposed to share it. So, the experience relates to the power of prayer, which is something, everyone could do more of, especially as we approach Holy Week. A few days ago, I mentioned a wonderful experience that happened on Dec. 3, the feast day of St. Francis Xavier. Now at the time this happened, I was not really in tune with this day being St. Francis Xavier's feast day, but when the day came around each year, I remembered what happened, and as such I made note of it. Many years later, a good friend who was a former student in a confirmation class (the one that called itself Azariah's prayer, from yesterday's post), wanted to go to Xavier. In truth, he is much more than a good friend to me, in a lot of ways, I like to think of him as a son I never had, because we have spent a lot of time together and he was been very helpful to me when I needed an extra set of strong hands. Yes, I love him. A Great kid. So, I found myself on November 13 last year praying before mass, and I realized I had not spent much, if any! time praying that he would, God willing, get into the college he wanted to go to. I felt badly for this, but I had gotten caught up in all kinds of daily pressures, as we all fall prey to from time to time. I came to this realization because it was the feast day of St Frances Xavier Cabrini, a.k.a Mother Cabrini who founded a ton of hospitals, schools and orphanages. So I said a prayer, it was really short, having just started to pray about it. Honestly, I think was no more that 25 words into the prayer - asking Mother Cabrini to please tug on St Francis Xavier's sleeve and ask him to help my buddy in his desire to go to Xavier. Then _BAM, a remarkable thing happened. I felt I got an answer, in that little voice that comes out of nowhere. It said - He's in, and he will get the news today. OK, Awesome! So, after mass I called his house and shared the prayer moment with his mom. It was right after mass about 8:00 am. Guess what - in that days mail, November 13th, he got the acceptance letter. BAM!

Rest assured, it has nothing to do with me, at the time I felt like I was so little, just a spec of dust is how I felt about myself in terms of being important. I also felt very blessed by God. Just be little, as young St. Theresa of Lisieux, the little flower liked to say. I was reading several books by another Teresa, St. Teresa of Avila, who offers amazing insights into prayers, and she said it much better than I ever could. She is the first female doctor of the Catholic church. Something like, the more humble you feel about yourself, the more powerful your prayers, since they are welcomed, just as a parent would listen more eagerly to a gentle, humble child than a brazen child who is noisy and prideful. It makes sense if you think about it. Be tiny. The least is the greatest.

The truth of the matter is, that when you share experiences like this with others, you are very likely to get responses that are quick to jump on you for NOT being humble. hahaha. There is an irony there, huh. Responses like - Who do you think you are, you are so arrogant, you are so annoying, shut up with your prayer stuff, you are supposed to pray alone in your room. It is easy to parse the bible in a way to attack, it happens every day. It took me a while, but I learned this too was a blessing. Because oddly enough, it'll keep you humble, when people tell you to just be quiet, get lost, shut up, especially if all you are trying to do is tell them how great God is, and only want to share something wonderful you feel, in hopes that they might seek the wonderful feeling, that God so freely gives, to His children who only want to love Him with everything they have to offer.

Anyway... time for me to stop for today. phew... I got something posted for today, when all I had to begin with, was nothing. ahhaha. Since St. Francis Xavier was a Jesuit, which was founded by St. Ignatius of Loyola - here's a prayer song of St. Ignatius' prayer - Dedication to Jesus.