Saturday, April 4, 2009

Saturday - fifth Week of Lent

Today's readings: April 4, 2009
Reading One: Ez 37:21-28;
Responsorial Psalm: Jeremiah 31:10, 11-12abcd, 13 ;
Gospel: Jn 11:45-56;
go to this page (for all three sections listed above on one page) And here's an audio file; & reflections (video)

Phew, last day before Holy Week. The home stretch. And there's still time. Time to go further and do those things you wanted to overcome and accomplish during Lent - but it hasn't happened yet. I hope this is a beneficial suggestion. 1) Focus on alms giving - there's a huge need at present. If you don't have the money, give up your skills and time to someone who needs your help. And 2) Focus on prayers. Find more time to set aside in prayer.

You still have some time left, and during Holy Week, you have all the reasons in the world to believe that your prayers will be answered, because your prayer is offered during Holy Week. My theory is that God is so powerful and infinite in scope, that as Easter arrives there an amazing concentration of power that makes itself known. All the Christians celebrating -WOOOOO! - which from our perspective is quite powerful, and it is - to us. But honestly, God is probably so much more massive in power - well, we can't even imagine it. Like we're an atom, and God is the sun. And I use that example because that was all I could initially imagine. Then, I wanted to make it different, edit that, & make it further apart. minus infinity to plus infinity. hahaha! I still can't do it.

Tap into God's power, spend more time in prayer and find the zone. Because there is a zone, but it takes time to find it. And you will have to turn off your tv, computer, or playstation. Try it.

When I started spending time in prayer, I realized most of my prayers were asking for something, a supplication is the fancy word. But you don't want to start out with that. The asking part. Find the zone. And practice.

There's a really good Catholic tradition, which is a simple formula for prayers. And it is a very good formula.
ACTS - A- Adore, C- Contrition, T - Thanks, S - supplication
Often I have the formula backwards STCA - which goes like.. oh God please do this, and I will be thankful, and admit I am unworthy, and then I will love and adore you. The STCA method doesn't work so well. It is a wavy line, and it is much harder to get to the powerful side of prayer. Personally I have found the ACTs to be a straighter line that will get you to the power sooner.

Prayer can become more powerful if you give it some time. We are told in scripture:
The prayers of a just man are a powerful thing
I believe that. And prayer is no different than snowboarding, playing music, dancing, whatever - if you devote a lot of time to it, then the endeavor will bear fruit.

I have more than a few things I had hoped to do, but didn't get it right just yet. Things about myself I needed to improve, things I was planning to do, or things I planned to give up, or change. I am guessing I am not alone here. Please join me, in spending more time with thankful prayers.

There's still time. Tomorrow begins Holy Week on Palm Sunday.