Friday, March 26, 2010

Friday Fifth Week of Lent

Daily Readings for Lent
Today's readings: March 26, 2010
First ReadingJer 20:10-13;
Responsorial Psalm18:2-3a, 3bc-4, 5-6, 7 ;
Gospel
Jn 8:12-20 ;

And here's an audio file and a video of a priest offering reflections.

First Reading:  Jer 20:10-13 ;
I hear the whisperings of many:
“Terror on every side!
Denounce! let us denounce him!”
All those who were my friends
are on the watch for any misstep of mine.
“Perhaps he will be trapped; then we can prevail,
and take our vengeance on him.”
But the LORD is with me, like a mighty champion:
my persecutors will stumble, they will not triumph.
In their failure they will be put to utter shame,
to lasting, unforgettable confusion.
O LORD of hosts, you who test the just,
who probe mind and heart,
Let me witness the vengeance you take on them,
for to you I have entrusted my cause.
Sing to the LORD,
praise the LORD,
For he has rescued the life of the poor
from the power of the wicked!

Responsorial Psalm  18:2-3a, 3bc-4, 5-6, 7 ;
R.        In my distress I called upon the Lord, and he heard my voice.
I love you, O LORD, my strength,
O LORD, my rock, my fortress, my deliverer.
R.        In my distress I called upon the Lord, and he heard my voice.
My God, my rock of refuge,
my shield, the horn of my salvation, my stronghold!
Praised be the LORD, I exclaim,
and I am safe from my enemies.
R.        In my distress I called upon the Lord, and he heard my voice.
The breakers of death surged round about me,
the destroying floods overwhelmed me;
The cords of the nether world enmeshed me,
the snares of death overtook me.
R.        In my distress I called upon the Lord, and he heard my voice.
In my distress I called upon the LORD
and cried out to my God;
From his temple he heard my voice,
and my cry to him reached his ears.
R.        In my distress I called upon the Lord, and he heard my voice.

Gospel   Jn 10:31-42
The Jews picked up rocks to stone Jesus.
Jesus answered them, “I have shown you many good works from my Father.
For which of these are you trying to stone me?”
The Jews answered him,
“We are not stoning you for a good work but for blasphemy.
You, a man, are making yourself God.”
Jesus answered them,
“Is it not written in your law, ‘I said, "You are gods"‘?
If it calls them gods to whom the word of God came,
and Scripture cannot be set aside,
can you say that the one
whom the Father has consecrated and sent into the world
blasphemes because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’?
If I do not perform my Father’s works, do not believe me;
but if I perform them, even if you do not believe me,
believe the works, so that you may realize and understand
that the Father is in me and I am in the Father.”
Then they tried again to arrest him;
but he escaped from their power.
He went back across the Jordan
to the place where John first baptized, and there he remained.
Many came to him and said,
“John performed no sign,
but everything John said about this man was true.”
And many there began to believe in him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary: Today's readings can seem very confusing to many (including myself!), especially when Jesus' words are taken by some as blasphemy because He calls himself God. For many, this still is blasphemy. Jesus is sharing His faith. He has healed the blind, raised Lazarus from the dead, cured countless sick people, offered words of comfort and love, fed the multitude with a few loaves and fish, and walked on water. He opened his heart fully to love us all. He tells the crowd to examine His works. Why do other people's faith and beliefs offend many so greatly? This a fair question for thousands of years up to and including today. And yet, of all the great prophets in the religions (spiritual journey's?) of the world, whether that is Abraham, Buddha, or Muhammed, or Jesus (forgive me but I can't remember the Hindu, Shinto, etc etc.. equivalent, no slight intended) - only one of these religious great men ever had the nerve to call Himself God. (I do believe that Jesus was and is the Son of God, and also a true man too. In short, I believe God humbled himself to share in our humanity, to demonstrate how deeply He loves us all. That is my faith, but it is not the only one and I enjoy it when other share their faith.) 

Now, take it step further, I believe Jesus is also saying, that within each of us - God dwells as well. We live in two worlds, part of it earthly, part is also divine. And as such, we all share this potential, which I regret due to those ongoing issues of sinfulness, doubt, worry, envy, selfishness, and lack of faith etc. - we often fail to reach that perfection, perhaps until we die - when we might gain that status, of becoming that pure perfection of being one with God, with God's help & by God's grace.

God is Love. Don't all of us strive to reach this perfect love? I think it is written on our hearts. If God the Father, Jesus, & the Holy Spirit, (or Allah, or whatever name you might call God by, I do not know), but if God wishes it, it is done and nothing is impossible for God. How can I know such things? Knowing is  the wrong word. I am merely sharing my faith. Don't get all ornery, hate me and kill me. I find it very odd that our current society has such problems listening to different beliefs, whether that is spiritual, political or moral. Are we so afraid to listen and understand each other? Look around and examine yourself - it is a fair question to ask. Of myself.

This unconnected stream of thoughts reminded me of a gross misconception of what the Catholic faith teaches. Catholic means - universal. Basically - we Catholics believe that Christ is the Messiah, that God is manifested in a trinity of God the Father, Jesus His Son and the Holy Spirit, which is God dwelling within us by a gracious gift from God, conferred by baptism. But we do not feel that one's entrance into heaven requires this belief. (some other Christian faiths are adamant on this, like this belief is the Willy Wonka Golden Ticket through the pearly gates, so to speak). The Catholic faith teaches that anyone can go to heaven, it is up God and His grace alone. And also, perhaps how the person lived their life. But only God knows the heart and it is all His call. This sentiment was echoed by Mother Teresa:
"There is only one God and He is God to all; therefore it is important that everyone is seen as equal before God. I've always said we should help a Hindu become a better Hindu, a Muslim become a better Muslim, a Catholic become a better Catholic." - Mother Teresa

I have nothing but love and respect for everyone, for those who have a strong faith, whatever that might be and also for those people with no faith in anything. I have grown to love everyone with a strong passion. What a blessing. I love people who are my friends and also those who dislike me, even my enemies and those who curse my existence. And when I fall short, I pray for more faith. and more mercy. and most of all - for more love.

Each week,  I am a co-teacher in the 7th grade religion class at our church. This week, the curriculum included, the Beatitudes, and also - loving your enemies, and loving those people who hate you. Jesus said to pray for them. Bless them and do not curse them. We spent some time wondering what Jesus' prayers were like when He knew He was going to be hung on a cross, for our sins, not His own. We talked about how God loved us so much, he would suffer all we suffer as humans, even death. Even death on a cross - not only perfectly painful - but also perfectly humiliated, abandoned by his friend Peter, and all alone, save a few friends and his mother, who wept. He got to see that too. And on that cross, He said a few short sentences, he offered words that proved his faithfulness to what He said. His words, became His works. He lived the Beatitudes, with passion and perfect love.

And so, a few days later - I found myself in a position where I was given the chance to put this into practice, a chance to do - what I had taught in class. Pray for those who hated me. Difficult words were thrown my way. I was told that I was a detestable abomination, with more colorful language. The words hurt. Worse, they felt I instigated the words with my own words, thoughts and beliefs. So, they felt justified in cursing me. Yes, the words and the situation hurt. Harder still, the words were sent my way by someone I still consider a close friend.

I read the words when I woke up and read an email that was sent while I was sleeping. Thankfully, I go to mass often in the morning, so I had a already set aside time to meditate and pray. I pleaded for the sweetest prayer to come from my heart, and that the Holy Spirit within me, would make the prayer worthy for God's ears. Then I asked God to bless them. Forgive them Father. Forgive me. What transpired was nothing short of beautiful and tender beyond what I could have ever hoped for. Beyond my imagination, lovely. It touched my heart as I asked God to bless them, and to love them, and to forgive me for my part.  It felt like the prayer reflected off God and He told He heard it, responded with love for all and all baggage I might have had was no more. There was no longer any hurt. My faith told me He'd handle it. Great, thank you. Done.

After mass I was bathed in a glorious yellow light as the sun rose above the trees, and streamed through a tiny window. Each day, I sit in the same spot - and this had never happened before, so it was totally unexpected and nothing short of delightful. If you knew my heart, then you would know - I am giving God all the glory. His sweetness continues to melt me every day.

I am reading several books right now as part of my Lenten Journey. One of them is called The Wounded Healer, by Henri Nouwen. Last night as I was reading it, Nouwen told the story of a young priest who met with a man in the hospital who did not have a fruitful visit with the sick man. The priest was less than engaged, and he did a poor job of showing that he cared. The next day, the man died when his operation was unsuccessful. Nouwen went on to suggest that those who care for others (meaning, all of us) need to share their own pain, to help others through their own. We offer our own vulnerability to connect with those who are hurting. Compassion, means sharing the pain and feeling the pain, as if it is your own. He recounted the story of how Jesus wept with the family of Lazarus. And I thought of this as I said my prayers for the people who hurt me. Surely I had done this to others too. (or as St. Francis said - once we realize we are capable of anything, it is much easier to show mercy). All these thoughts came to bear as I prayed.

And I share all this - hoping that others can trust Jesus, and follow his example.  And to not be afraid to love unconditionally, and also to imagine what His prayers were like, knowing He would be crucified. How beautiful they must have been. And when you get hurt, ask God to help make these merciful and loving prayers offered by Jesus, your prayers too. Love your enemies. Bless them, and do not curse them. And I thought, how blessed I was to have all these events come together in a short span of a few days and get guidance to help me on my journey home.